Saturday 27 August 2011

Yoga Sparks Non Absent Minds

Usually I try to be very mindful about wording requests in a positive manner to kids. Please walk in the hall, rather than, please don't run in the hall.  Please use a kleenex, rather than, please don't use your finger :)  I'm not saying that it never happens where I say something as a negative phrase, but I am saying that I most definitely think about the impact of my words. (I am aware that my title is in the negative, but I wanted to put the sometimes overused word, mindful, out there in a different way). And this got me thinking, (with the help of my friend Amanda).  How mindful is this voice in my head when I am talking to myself? Do I put as much mindfulness into the thoughts I allow to continue in my head?  If I am honest with myself, I see that I have been absent minded with my thoughts.

A few weeks ago someone said to me, "You're not responsible for your first thought but you are responsible for the second."  (I can't find who wrote this or where it came from, let me know if you know). I have had a lot of people tell me recently that they feel their thoughts are out of control and very negative.  Oh I know this feeling, who doesn't know this feeling?  An ugly thought sounding in your mind, "Who are you to think you can do this? You're not good enough. You always start things but it won't go far."  All thoughts that have come into my mind lately.

And here's the spark.  In the past I believed these thoughts were true and then added to them with the thoughts I am in control of.  Sometimes this initial little thought snowballing into something huge and debilitating.  I'm gradually realizing that there is so much more to these thoughts than just ignoring them or pushing them away and that ultimately these thoughts are actually part of the path to inner peace. I read an amazing article back in March that felt like a turning point for me, this is where I started, Love That Little Voice by Dena Anderson.

As this new school year starts I resolve to be just as mindful about what I am thinking as what I am saying aloud to my students.  I can't wait to see how this unfolds within me and through me as a teacher.

What does yoga spark in your mind?  Write to me and let me know, I'd love to hear!

With love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment