Tuesday 30 August 2011

Yoga Sparks Pattern Recognition

I am a pattern expert! (I thought I was anyways.) I teach grade one, how can I not be an expert at patterns?

 ABcABcABc  
Girl Boy Girl Boy  
Red Red Green Red Red Green  
Unicorn Hyena Zombie Robot Unicorn Hyena Zombie Robot

I should have learned all about patterns back when I was in grade one but it's taken yoga for me to recognize that there are patterns within me.

Right now, I am at school getting ready for the first day of school.  I am going to keep this really short because, well, here's the pattern: I left a lot of prep till the last minute and I'm going to be here really late finishing. Hmm, this sounds familiar, like it's been repeating my whole life, oh wait it has, hmmm isn't that the definition of a pattern?

In yoga your patterns or the things that you just naturally fall into are called Samskaras.  They are the deep imprints that are in our life that we just can't seem to get out of and into different habits.  What yoga has taught me about these Samskaras, even though I may not know how to implement this, is that if we catch these patterns right when we are beginning to engage in the pattern, right when we are opening the bag of cookies without thinking, right when we are about to put a plate in the dishwasher without rinsing it off first, right when we are about to write on our blog instead of getting ready for the first day of school... (All my samskaras :) ), if we catch them right at the start point and then consciously choose something different our patterns start to change, gradually, gradually start to change.

Yoga sparks pattern recognition, gotta go back to work :)

What patterns has yoga sparked in you?  What patterns have you seen in yourself through yoga?  I'm listening, let me know :)

With love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment